Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Ghost World

After Paul went to bed last night I stayed up reading Ghost World by Daniel Clowes. It's a graphic novel about two girls named Enid and Rebecca in their teenage years getting ready to leave high school. I had seen the movie that came out in 2001 before and I had enjoyed it but I can't say it was one of my favorites. Once again, the book is better than the movie. Visually the movie does a great job replicating the graphic novel but the characters have so much more personality in the book. I found myself laughing aloud at some of the conversations that go on between Enid and Rebecca. Enid reminds me of myself with her dark sense of humor meant to shock people. She is a kooky, cynical a-hole. I love it! If you want a dark comedy about teenage life and friendship, I would recommend this book even if you've already seen the movie. The movie takes the story in a bit of a different direction and the actors have their own interpretation of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment