Friday, July 10, 2009

A Monkey, A Bar and A BOOM!

Now that I've finally let enough time go by, I have a few things to write about. I wish I could write every week like other bloggers out there but really, I don't want to bore you with mundane writings.

Let's begin with my monkey socks. I've heard of the Cookie A. pattern to monkey socks and was always a bit skeptical but now that I've begun knitting it and am half way through the second sock, I've been won over. I swoon for these socks. They pattern is amazingly effortless to follow. Even I who has the memory of a goldfish have managed to memorize the pattern and am whizzing through it. I have seen the Cookie ways.
About a month ago, Paul and I went to a Hank III show. He actually decided to get a hotel room for the night down in Huntington to avoid the drive home at the end of the show and I agreed. It was a nice treat from him since he got the executive suite and got a room with a nice view. The nice surprise that was included with the hotel is the fact that the band was staying in it as well. The van was outside and we even ran in Lucky Tubb in the elevator. Lucky is actually the nephew of Ernest Tubb, the famous country singer. He was very friendly and introduced himself, shaking every one's hand. I didn't happen upon Hank himself but we did see Gary in the computer room. The show itself was great (as usual) but incredibly and uncomfortably hot. The AC wasn't enough to sustain the crowd. We stood in line for nearly an hour in the hot... HOT sun so we were soaked before we got in and it just got worse from there. It was so hot even the beer didn't feel cold to us. By the way, the upright bassist for Hank III looked just like the actor from the notebook. It was very strange.

I want to take the time to wish everyone a Happy 4Th of July. We had a fairly relaxing one watching movies and watching the fireworks with dad. (By the way, I recommend Gran Turino. Spectacular movie.) The fireworks were beautiful and a great way to end the night. It was also pretty neat to have a view of them right outside my door. Although, it is not the fireworks that made the 4Th great, it's taking the time to remember what a great country we live in. I feel I sometimes take it for granted but I'm happy to have the freedoms that we have. Even this blog represents our freedom of speech which some people in the other side of the word cannot take part in. I revel in the beautiful landscapes this country offers, from the Alaska wilderness to the desert to the swamps to the Rockies and Appalachian mountains to the pacific and Atlantic beaches to the prairies and the cities (I can go on forever). We really are fortunate to have this all at our grasp. In my moment of patriotism, I want to share my favorite patriotic song with you. It's "My Beautiful America" by Charlie Daniels which paints a beautiful picture of this country.

3 comments:

  1. Seems like you had a wonderful time. It's great to get away if only for just one night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those the monkey socks? I love them. They look so comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still doing my once a week check on you my girl.

    ReplyDelete